Calendula – 50g
For Teas, Remedies & Culinary Uses
Latin Name: Calendula officinalis syn. Calendula aurantiaca, Calendula eriocarpa, Calendula hydruntina.
Other Names: Calendula, Pot Marigold, Mary Gooles, Merrybud, Marygold, Ringelblume, Kinsenka & Claveton.
A hardy annual herb native to Southern Europe which can also be found growing in most temperate regions of the world. Valued by the Romans for its medicinal and culinary properties, Calendula flowers were also prized by the Egyptians for their properties of rejuvenation and healing. The Greeks revered its culinary aspects and in the medieval period it was thought to cure just about everything.
The most impressive health benefits of calendula include its ability to speed healing, protect oral health, improve the appearance of the skin, boost vision, lower inflammation, and eliminate cramps. It is also used to promote healthy hair and scalp.
- You can also find many of our Herbs/Gums/Resins on our ETSY SHOP
Calendula is listed as having the following properties:
- Antibacterial: destroys or suppresses the growth of bacteria
- Anti-fungal: active against fungi, prevents fungal growth
- Anti-inflammatory: reduces inflammation
- Antiseptic: preventing the growth of disease-causing microorganisms
- Antiviral: effective against viruses
- Analgesic: acting to relieve pain
- Tonic: – giving a feeling of vigour or well-being
- Sudorific: relating to or causing sweating
- Emmenagogue: something that stimulates or increases menstrual flow
- Antispasmodic: relieves spasm of involuntary muscles
- Anti-oxidant: inhibits oxidation, negating potentially damaging oxidizing agents
- Vulnerary: of use in the healing of wounds
Calendula May Benefit:
- Stubborn wounds
- Sore, inflamed and itchy skin conditions
- Wrinkles, Age spots & Scars
- Skin tone & vitality
- Hair & Scalp
- Care of eyes
- Sore throats and mouths
- For lotions, creams, ointments, salves and personal care items
- As compresses for bruises, scars & wounds
- Also as compresses for puffy eyes, swollen eyelids, styes & conjunctivitis
- Considered by the ancient Egyptians to have rejuvenating properties
- For abdominal cramps and constipation
- For regulating menstrual flow
- Flavouring soups and stews
- As ‘the poor man’s saffron for coloring cheeses, butters and side dishes
- Is Wildcrafted and sustainably harvested in Egypt
- Is not heat treated or irradiated and is free from GMO’s
- Should be infused in boiling water before consumption.
- A certificate of analysis can be provided for this product if required.
Cautions – Calendula has ’emmenagogue properties so can stimulate menstrual flow – it should NOT be used during pregnancy as may induce abortion.
Allergens – Produced in facilities handling Nuts, gluten, celery and mustard. Handling procedures are in place to reduce the likelihood of allergens being present, but we cannot guarantee our ingredients are totally free of traces in the products supplied.
Information provided in the Herbal Apothecary is from the ‘folk herbalist’ tradition and does not pretend to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or condition. Celtic Earth Spirit advises you to consult a medical professional before trying any herbal product