Colophony (Pine Lump) Resin – 50g
Colophony (Pine Lump) is listed as having the following Properties:
- Antiseptic: – preventing the growth of disease-causing microorganisms
- Expectorant: – promotes the secretion of sputum by the air passages
- Rubefacient: – increases blood flow to the surface of the skin
- Diuretic: – increases the excretion of water from bodies
- Irritant: – (in certain people)
- Used externally to make ointments, liniment plasters and inhalents
- “A valuable remedy in rheumatic affections and diseases of the mucous membrane and respiratory complaints.” – (A Modern Herbal – Mrs. M. Grieve F.R.H.S.)
- Used in perfumes, cosmetics and soaps
- Used as an incense – on its own or in blends
Our Colophony (Pine Lump)
- Is Wildcrafted from sustainable sources
- It is not heat treated or irradiated and is free from GMO’s
- Product should be infused in boiling water before consumption.
- A certificate of analysis is available for this product if required.
Latin Name: Pinus sylvestris
Common Names: Colophonium, Greek Pitch, Rosin, Gum Rosin, Wood Rosin, Pine Rosin & Pine Resin
Description: Colophony (Pine Lump) Resin comes from an evergreen coniferous tree native to Europe and Asia. The tree grows to 35-45 metres in height, and can live for up to 300 years, the bark is thick, scaly and greyish-brown in colour. The leaves known as ‘needles’ form in alternate ‘pseudo-whorls’ and are a glaucous blue-green in colour, 2.5–5cm in length. The seed cones are red at first ripening to golden-brown, globule in shape and 4-8mm in diameter in their first year, growing to 3-8cm in their second year.
Interesting Fact: Colophany is a by-product from the making of pine needle oil? When the oil is distilled, the soft gummy resinous substance that is left over becomes known as an oleoresin. This soft colophony oleoresin, known as rosin, is also utilised to enable violin strings to have the friction they need, in order to produce a sound when the bow is pulled across the strings.
Some people can be allergic to this resin; direct contact with the resin on the skin can cause skin irritation, whilst breathing in the dust can cause asthma-like symptoms.
Allergens: Nuts, gluten, celery, milk/dairy and mustard are handled on the site where this product is processed. Handling procedures are in place to reduce the likelihood of allergens being present, but we cannot guarantee our ingredients are totally free of traces in the product supplied.
Information provided in the Herbal Apothecary is from the ‘folk herbalist’ tradition and does not pretend to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or condition. Celtic Earth Spirit advises you to consult a medical professional before trying any herbal product.