£2.87 – £4.75
Copal is a young (few million years younger), Amber that has not finished fosilizing. Due to common impurities and differences in regions, gum copal ranges in colors from blacks to yellows to whites – the lighter the colour the higher the quality. Our Copal is high quality.
Copal is listed as having the following Properties:
- Antiseptic: – preventing the growth of disease-causing microorganisms
- Anti-bacterial: – active against bacteria
- Anti-fungal: – active against fungi, prevents fungal growth
- Anti-rheumatic: – reduces or prevents joint damage associated with inflammatory disorders of the joints
- “Medical complaints included upper respiratory tract infections and also skin conditions ranging from scabies, fungal mycoses, dermatitis and impetigo.” – (Dr. Mandy Tsang – firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Copal Gum (Hymenaea verrucosa) is often used as a substitute for frankincense resin in blends
- Copal has been used in ancient Maya and Aztec ceremony as a ritual offering to the gods & for spiritual cleansing
- Can be turned into a tincture or powdered to add to lotions, creams, balms and soaps for the skin.
- Has binding, stabilising & emulsifying properties when used in perfumes, medicines and food.
- Used in traditional medicine for cases such as dysentery, stomach pains, dizziness and fright.
Our Copal (Hymenaea verrucosa):
- Is Wildcrafted and sustainably sourced in Indonesia
- It is not heat treated or irradiated and is free from GMO’s
- Product should be infused in boiling water before consumption.
- A certificate of analysis is available for this product if required.
Latin Name: Hymenaea verrucosa
Plant Family: Fabaceae
Other Names: Copal Tree, Tree of Heaven, East African Copal Tree, Zanzibar Copal, Mexican Frankincense, Paradise Tree, & Pom.
Description: Our High Quality Copal comes from an evergreen tree native to East Africa, Madagascar and Indonesia which grows to a height of up to 25 metres. The bark of the tree is pale grey with a slight violet tint. The leaves are evenly pinnate, alternate ovately-oblong, asymmetric, 5-8cm in length, smooth, glossy and deep green in colour. The inflorescences form panicles of 5-petaled flowers with bracts at the base, white to yellowish-white in colour and 2.5-3cm in diameter.
History: The common name Copal used to identify this is derived from the Nahuatl language word ‘copalli’ which means ‘incense’? It was used by the cultures of pre-Columbian Mesoamerica (the Mayans) as ceremonially burned incense and for other purposes and is still used by a number of indigenous peoples of Mexico and Central America as an incense
Cautions – there are no known specific cautions
Allergens – Produced in facilities handling Nuts, gluten, celery and mustard. Handling procedures are in place to reduce the likelihood of allergens being present, but we cannot guarantee our ingredients are totally free of traces in the products supplied.
Information provided in the Herbal Apothecary is from the ‘folk herbalist’ tradition and does not pretend to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or condition. Celtic Earth Spirit advises you to consult a medical professional before trying any herbal product.