Mugwort – 50g
For Teas, Remedies and as an Herbal Smoke
Known as the Wise-woman’s herb or mater herbarium, meaning ‘mother of all herbs‘. It is also known as the ‘dream herb’ for its ability to increase REM sleep and enhance lucid dreams. Known as the Mater Herbarum — the mother of all herbs, Mugwort has been held sacred by various cultures and is thought to be the oldest of plants. As a tea it has been used for its calming effect on frayed nerves and its warming effects in easing the cramps of menstruation.
Iron age people drank ale made from mugwort and it was one of the 9 sacred herbs of the Anglo-Saxon’s.
- You can also find many of our Herbs/Gums/Resins on our ETSY SHOP
There is a full article on Mugwort here.
Mugwort is listed as having the following Properties:
- Stimulant: – helps to increase alertness and energy
- Slightly Tonic: – giving a feeling of vigour or well-being
- Nervine: – having a calming effect on the nervous system
- Emmenagogue: – something that stimulates or increases menstrual flow
- Diuretic: – increases the excretion of water from bodies
- Diaphoretic: – promotes sweating
Mugwort May Benefit:
- The pain of childbirth
- The cramps of monthly menstruation
- Stiff joints when used as a poultice
- The nervous system
- The digestive system
- The dried leaf is made into a tea or tissane
- It can be added in small amounts to stuffing’s to accompany fatty meats and game.
- An infusion of the herb was given for intermittent fevers and agues. The leaves used to be steeped in baths to communicate an invigorating property. (A Modern Herbal – Mrs. M. Grieve F.R.H.S.)
- Burnt as an incense to clear the air or smudge.
Our Mugwort is:
- Wildcrafted and sustainably harvested in Bulgaria
- Not heat treated or irradiated and free from GMO’s
- Product should be infused in boiling water before consumption.
- A certificate of analysis is available for this product if required.
- Mugwort can stimulate menstruation and should not be used if you are pregnant
- Hayfever & Asthma sufferers should be aware that Mugwort can cause a reaction
- Mugwort (Artemesia Vulgaris) should be infused in boiling water prior to consumption.
- AS Mugwort has the ability to increase lucid dreaming this may result in less ‘deep sleep’ and could leave you feeling tired the next day.
Allergens: Nuts, gluten, celery, milk/dairy and mustard are handled on the site where this product is processed. Handling procedures are in place to reduce the likelihood of allergens being present, but we cannot guarantee our ingredients are totally free of traces in the product supplied.
Information provided in the Herbal Apothecary is from the ‘folk herbalist’ tradition and does not pretend to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or condition. Celtic Earth Spirit advises you to consult a medical professional before trying any herbal product.