Yerba mate – 50g
For Teas, Remedies, & as a Dye (greenish/yellow)
The native Indian tribes used Yerba Mate to help combat fatigue, the leaves were also used as a poultice for treating skin ulcers. Yerba mate provides an energy boost similar to coffee, but with less caffeine and more nutrients – “the strength of coffee, the health benefits of tea, and the euphoria of chocolate” that enhances memory, mood, and alertness, increasing mental focus and reducing fatigue.
Yerba mate has a long history of traditional medicinal uses connected with boosting the immune system, helping seasonal allergies and benefitting the digestive, urinary & cardiovascular systems.
Yerba mate provides an energy boost similar to coffee, but with less caffeine and more nutrients.
Yerba Mate – Latin Name: Ilex paraguariensis syn. Ilex paraguensis.
Plant Family: Aquifoliaceae
Other Names: Maté, Caa, Chimarrão, Cimarrón, Yerba Maté, Erva Maté, Jesuit’s Tea, Brazil Tea, & Paraguay Tea.
Yerba Mate is listed as having the following Properties:
- Antioxidant: a substance that inhibits oxidation or removes potentially damaging oxidizing agents
- Anti-inflammatory: A substance that reduces inflammation
- Anti-bacterial: A substance that is active against bacteria
- Anti-fungal: Something that is used to prevent fungal growth; active against fungi
- Anti-parasitic: acting against parasites : used or intended to kill, repel, or remove parasites
- Anti-mutagenic: any substance that reduces the rate of spontaneous mutations
- Analgesic: Acting to relieve pain
- Diuretic: Any substance that promotes diuresis, the increased production of urine
Yerba Mate contains the following vitamins and high concentration of these minerals:
- vitamin A
- vitamins B1, B2, B3, and B5
- vitamin C
- vitamin E
Yerba Mate May Benefit:
- Mental and physical tiredness (fatigue), as well as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS)
- Heart & blood pressure
- Low mood
- Headache & joint pains
- The balance of sugar & Insulin uptake
- Urinary system
- Mental function – alertness
- Cholesterol levels
- as a tonic, diuretic, and as a stimulant to reduce fatigue, suppress appetite, and aid gastric function in herbal medicine systems throughout South America
- In Brazil, mate is said to stimulate the nervous and muscular systems and is used for digestive problems, renal colic, nerve pain, depression, fatigue, and obesity
- A poultice of the leaves also is applied topically to anthrax skin ulcers (Brazil)
Our Yerba Mate:
- Is Wildcrafted and sustainably harvested in Brazil
- Is not heat treated or irradiated and is free from GMO’s
- Should be infused in boiling water before consumption.
- A certificate of analysis can be provided for this product if required.
Cautions – Studies show that certain compounds in yerba mate have monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) activity. MAOIs are often prescribed as medications for depression and Parkinson’s disease. Therefore, individuals taking MAOI drugs should consult their GP. If you are pregnant you should note that Yerba Mate contains caffeine – too much caffeine may increase the risk of miscarriage and low birth weight.
Allergens – Produced in facilities handling Nuts, gluten, celery and mustard. Handling procedures are in place to reduce the likelihood of allergens being present, but we cannot guarantee our ingredients are totally free of traces in the products supplied.
Information provided in the Herbal Apothecary is from the ‘folk herbalist’ tradition and does not pretend to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or condition. Celtic Earth Spirit advises you to consult a medical professional before trying any herbal product